November 16, 2011

Fife Flyers Win One over the Hull Stingrays

The Fife Flyers finally ended their torturous weekend of 4 games in 5 nights and ended it in some style. After 15 games to start the season without a victory and only one in the Challenge Cup the Elite League’s smallest and newest team finally got their first win.

With 3 games in 3 nights over the weekend seeming to have taken their toll as 2 players including player coach Todd Dutiaume faced late fitness test all the odds were stacked in Hull Stingrays favour. However this is a Fife team that got a point in Nottingham last weekend when the odds were not with them.

Fife opened the scoring inside two minutes through Siddall then doubled it through Hartmanis before the period was over. But when Cohen scored Fife’s third goal it sparked Hull into life; first with Tendler then Campbell to send the Flyers in at the second intermission only 1 goal up.  After the break Rodin then Dulle gave the visitors the lead and seemed to have ruined the night for the Kirkcaldy men. However Siddall hit a second with 90 seconds to go and send the game in OT.

Fife were still not out of the woods as a Siddall penalty in OT put Hull on the powerplay but the Flyers held on killing the penalty and sending the game to penalties. With no scorers on the board it came to Cohen who put the result in the book. Britain’s oldest club finally got their first win on their return to the top flight and roar in the Kirkcaldy ice rink could be heard across the land.

Fife remains bottom of the league but are now a point behind Dundee and 4 behind Edinburgh and the playoffs. Whilst Hull jump above the Capitals into seventh.

In other news. British forward Andrew Sharp has signed with the Guildford Flames of the EPL. The agitator played most of last season with the Manchester Phoenix winning the EPL title. Sharp has also iced in the EIHL with Sheffield Steelers and comes with a reputation for dropping the gloves and being physical.

Neil Tucker

No comments:

Post a Comment